Saturday, November 16, 2013

Diplomatic Skills

I love this transition, just for the ironic timing:

"Sometimes I wish I could make people see that I only want what’s best for Eckba, and I know that means following the line of succession.”
“Then, you do support your sister as the heir to the throne?” Tessa questioned.
“Of course!" Jillen exclaimed. "It’s a hard job, one that neither me nor my brother want. Besides, Janen’s been preparing to do it all her life, and I think she’ll do a good job. Got all the diplomatic skills and everything.”

Janen started with a kick to her opponent’s head. Pivoting on her right foot, still firmly planted on the ground, she swung her sword in a tight curve, creating a long gash in the chestplate. When both feet were back down, Janen finished the attack with a right-handed direct jab that knocked the stuffed dummy off of the stand and sent it flying across the training room.
Taking a deep breath, the girl returned to a normal stance and bowed from the waist to her vanquished opponent.
“Let me guess - the dummy insulted your training habits.” Jeren said, standing by the doorway he’d emerged from just in time to see this last combination of attacks.
“Something like that.” Janen growled, still remembering Syl’s disrespectful comments from earlier that afternoon.

In most situations, it would be said that Janen has anger-management issues. But taking out your frustrations on a practice dummy is better than attacking the living servants, no matter how aggravating they are.
-Triscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment