Thursday, October 16, 2014

Drive Back the Nightmares

“Mommy, Cal’s having another bad dream.” Carolyn glanced up at her young daughter, Tara, standing with her warrior teddy bear in one hand and the other on the doorframe to the kitchen. Glancing at the clock on the all, she pinched the bridge of her nose and heaved a sigh.
“Alright, my little viking, I’m coming.” The woman set down her paperwork and stood with a groan, then followed Tara down the hall. Sure enough, in their shared bedroom, Cal was tossing and turning under his sheets. The small whimpers that reached her tugged at Carolyn’s heartstrings.
She hurried forward and scooped the tiny boy into her arms.
“Hush now, my hatchling.” Carolyn whispered, smoothing down his sweat-drenched hair. “Momma’s here, you’re fine now.” Cal continued to cry, though.
“He’s not gonna wake up if you don’t do the glowy thing.” Tara stated from her seat on the other bed, arms wrapped around her armor-wearing stuffed animal. Ignoring the impulse to snarl her frustration at the child, Carolyn instead leaned forward to place her lips over Cal’s ear.
“Calvirotakissiv,” She whispered, her half-lidded eyes beginning to glow with a warm, golden light. “Why do you shudder, hatchling?”
“Monsters,” The boy’s dream self sobbed back. “Sh-shadow m-mons-sters. Th-they w-won’t leave me a-l-lone.” An image formed in Carolyn’s mind, of beasts slinking through a darkened cavern, taunting her little boy and his weak human form.
“They are jealous, my hatchling.” She hurriedly told him. “Those who were deemed unworthy of remnants, and fear your status as an Ancestral.”
“Like... Like you and Tara?”
“Yes. Just like us.”
“Then w-why don’t they s-scare you two?”
“Your big sister’s Viking remnant doesn’t let them invade her dreams.” Carolyn carefully explained. “And as for me... I taught them not to mess with me when I was your age.”
“H-how?”
“By picturing my other self, my dragon self, chasing them away. Can you do that?” Her words caused the dream Cal to raise his head, and the flames of their ancestors began to dance around him.
“I am dragon.” He said slowly, his combined hope and pride driving the fear away. “I am DRAGON!” The shadow beasts drew back nervously, then fled as the boy roared, his dream self growing into a blue and silver behemoth. Light poured forth from his extended wings, and the monsters were obliterated as the dreamer reveled in his future form, the dragon shape he would be able to claim as an adult.
Both Carolyn and Tara smiled as Cal quieted in his sleep, never to be troubled by nightmares again.

Intro for my Ancestrals graphic novels. More on them will show up here eventually. Enjoy!
-Triscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment